Improper payments in high-risk programs like Medicaid continue to grow. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) estimates that the projected loss from improper Medicaid payments exceeds $50.6 billion each year across our nation. Of that amount, federal dollars account for $29.1 billion while the states collectively account for the remaining $21.5 billion. Improper payments for Medicaid are estimated to be 10.1%. In addition, Medicaid continues to consume a larger slice of states’ budgets. According to the National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO), Medicaid expenditures hover around 30% of total state expenditures nationally.
Considering these alarming statistics, it is clear that efforts to reduce improper payments in programs like Medicaid are a top priority. Join this webinar to learn how three states – Louisiana, New York and Oregon – are taking steps to identify and reduce improper payments as well as identify cost saving opportunities in Medicaid. Methodologies, tools, and techniques will be among the items discussed.
This webinar will offer helpful tips and lessons learned for auditing large, high-risk programs like Medicaid and will also provide insights to program managers and comptrollers trying to eliminate improper payments before they occur.
Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Time: 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
CPE: 2 credits available
At the end of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the impact improper payments of Medicaid and similar high-risks can have on the states
- Utilize tools and methodologies to identify improper payments and control costs in Medicaid
- Use insights from other states to help eliminate improper payments in large, high-risk programs
Level of Knowledge
Field of Study
Department of Administration
General Accounting Office
100 N 15th Avenue Suite 302
Please remember to bring your State of Arizona badge to gain access through security.
**You may bring your lunch if you wish. Currently the ADOA Building does not have a cafeteria.
Please park on the lot north of the parking garage or the northeast corner of 15th Avenue and Adams. There are two disabled parking spaces in the visitor section of the garage and three disabled parking spaces in the northeast surface lot. These spaces are NOT restricted by the "2 hour visitor parking" signs.
Space is limited, so reserve your place early
- Sign in to the TraCorp Learning Platform.
If you have not logged in to the new Learning Management Site before, you will need to use your EIN and initial password of “NewUser1” on the first login. Once in, you will have to change your password before proceeding.
- Click “Content”, then “Show Content” at the top of the page.
- Change drop down selection to “Entire Catalog” in the middle of the page.
- Enter “GAO Hosted Webinar” in the search box.
- Click on “NASACT: Identifying Improper Payments”.
- Under Upcoming Sessions, select the “Register” button on the right side of the course.
- An email confirmation of your enrollment will be sent to your inbox
CPE: 2 credits
The National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurers is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: https://www.nasbaregistry.org/.